ACL Injury Physical Therapy Exercises
Suppose that you got hit in the front of the knee while tackling a sharp pass in a soccer game or something smacked your shin bone during a traumatic incident. In both circumstances, you tend to get an ACL injury, which feels like your knee is giving away with intense pain. Many conservative and invasive therapies are present to manage this condition. However, ACL injury physical therapy exercises relieve your symptoms and heal this condition effectively.
This article shares six ACL injury physical therapy exercises that you need to practice to resume your everyday activities.
What Are The 6 Effective ACL Injury Physical Therapy Exercises You Must Perform?
The main aim of ACL injury rehabilitation is to strengthen the muscles around your knee joint so they can take the workload of the ligament until it heals. Moreover, ACL injury physical therapy exercises are designed so your knee joint doesn’t have to bear extra stress during recovery.
The six exercises for ACL tear without surgery are:
Calf muscles are present at the back of your shin bone and help to clear your foot out of the ground. Stretching calf muscles is among the initial exercises for ACL tear without surgery.
The steps to perform calf stretch include:
- Grab a soft couch or bed and lie down in a long sitting position with your limbs straight.
- Now take a Theraband and wrap it around your foot of an affected leg
- Then, with the help of Theraband, move your toes towards and raise your leg at 30 degrees
- Hold this position for 20 seconds until you feel contraction at the back of your shin bone.
- Perform three repetitions of this exercise in a single set
- Do 2 or 3 sets daily
Ankle Pumps are among ACL strengthening exercises to train your calf muscles to withstand the weight.
The steps to perform ankle pumps are as follows:
- Lie down on a couch or floor with both your legs extended.
- Then, move your foot towards yourself until you feel the contraction in your calf muscles.
- Next, move your foot in the opposite direction, away from your body
- Perform 10 repetitions of this exercise in a single set
- Do 2 or 3 sets every day
Static Quads are among the basic ACL injury physical therapy exercises to train your quadriceps muscle. Strengthening quadriceps muscle helps to extend your knee with less discomfort and pain.
The steps to execute static quads include
- Lie on your couch or floor with both your knees straight
- Now place a towel roll under your knee
- Next, press against the towel roll until your thigh muscle contracts
- Hold this position for 5 seconds and relax
- Do a set of 10 repetitions of this exercise
- Perform 2 or 3 sets of static quads daily
Heel Slides is a complete exercise to train your lower limb musculature. It strengthens the hamstring muscle, which helps to bend your knee, besides stretching the quadriceps muscle.
The steps to do heel slides are as follows:
- Lie on your floor or bed in a supine position with both your knees extended
- Then, start to bend your affected limb slowly until the movement is painless
- Next, extend your knee to get into the neutral position
- Remember to drag your heel during this exercise without taking your foot off the ground
- Do 10 repetitions of this exercise in a single set
- Perform 2 or 3 sets of heel slides daily
Prone Knee Flexion
Prone knee flexion is among the advanced ACL injury physical therapy exercises to perform. It helps to strengthen the hamstring muscle, besides increasing the knee joint range of motion.
The steps to do prone knee flexion exercise consist of:
- Grab a yoga mat or bed and lie down in a prone position with your tummy against the surface
- Now, gradually try to flex your knee against gravity
- Continue to bend your knee unless you feel any discomfort
- Once you reach your maximum range, extend your knee slowly and get your neutral position
- Execute a set of 10 repetitions of this exercise
- Perform 2 or 3 sets of prone knee flexion everyday
Squats are one of the most effective exercises for ACL tear without surgery. It enables you to put force on your quadriceps muscle to make it stronger to withstand the weight of your body.
The steps to execute squats for ACL injury include:
- Stand against a wall or any form of support with your limbs extended.
- Move both your feet slightly outside and have a shoulder-length gap between them.
- Now, slowly start to bend your knees by 15 degrees
- Remember to keep your back supported during this movement
- Hold this position for 5 seconds and then extend your knees
- Perform 5 repetitions of this exercise in a single set
- Do 2 or 3 sets of squats daily
The aforementioned ACL injury physical therapy exercises are usually guided by a physical therapist in a rehabilitation program. However, consult your therapist before practicing any new movement to avoid disrupting your healing process.
What Are Torn ACL Exercises To Avoid?
There are specific activities that can put your ACL recovery at a halt by putting loads of stress on your damaged tissues.
Following are the torn ACL exercises to avoid:
- Bending your knee aggressively while using the restroom or bathroom
- Running or jumping on your affected limb
- Using weights or putting stress on your damaged area
Apart from avoiding these torn ACL exercises, pause your rehabilitation protocol whenever you see swelling around your knee joint or feel intense pain.
Get Reliable and Safe ACL Injury Physical Therapy in NYC, USA
At MOCEAN Therapy, our experienced sports physical therapists assess your ACL ligament by implementing special tests and diagnosis criteria before applying any intervention. We also guide which ACL injury physical therapy exercises you must perform for optimum healing and speedy recovery.
Moreover, our team of physical therapists is equipped with the latest technologies of cryotherapy, cupping therapy, and manual therapy techniques to relieve your symptoms of an ACL injury.
Therefore, to resume your daily living and athletic activities, book an appointment online or contact us immediately to get reliable and safe physical therapy for ACL injuries in NYC, USA.
Then we create a health plan tailored to your needs.
Based on the results, we develop a personalized treatment plan for each individual to promote optimal health. With 1-on-1 consultations, cutting-edge technology, and a team of experts who care about getting you better, MOCEAN offers you a comprehensive road map on how to become the healthiest version of yourself.