What Causes Hormonal Imbalance?
Hormonal imbalance happens when your body contains one or more hormones in higher or lower concentrations than needed. Moreover, you tend to get hormonal imbalances when you’re undergoing puberty, menstruation, or aging. This condition can give rise to multiple metabolic diseases. However, many medical and natural treatments can manage your hormonal imbalances successfully. Well, that’s said, what causes hormonal imbalance?
To find out what causes hormonal imbalance, keep reading below:
How Is Hormonal Imbalance Caused?
Your hormone level fluctuates when you’re undergoing the process of developing secondary sexual characteristics in your teens. Even during menstruation and pregnancy, hormone imbalance is quite normal.
However, if your endocrine glands are not working adequately, then you’re at risk of developing pathological hormonal imbalances. Remember that endocrine glands specialize in producing, storing, and stimulating hormones in your blood.
Medical conditions that affect endocrine glands and make you prone to hormonal imbalance are:
Tumors in endocrine glands are what cause hormonal imbalance. However, your likelihood of getting endocrine tumors is very rare. It includes:
- Adrenocortical Carcinoma (ACC) – As the name suggests, adrenocortical carcinoma is a cancerous tumor that grows on the topmost part of your kidneys where the adrenal gland lies. It manipulates the function of your adrenaline gland, which results in hormonal imbalance.
- Carcinoid Tumors – Carcinoid tumors are among the neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) which grow in your neuroendocrine cells. These cells use hormones to send and receive signals that regulate your body’s function. If cancer affects your neuroendocrine cells, you end up having a hormonal imbalance.
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer (MTC) – This type of cancer grows in the inside part of your thyroid glands, known as the medulla. Your medulla comprises special cells named parafollicular C cells that stimulate hormones. That’s why once the medulla gets cancer, it leads to hormonal imbalance.
- Paraganglioma – A paraganglioma is a cancerous tumor that forms near your carotid artery and around the nervous supply of your head and cells. The tumor targets your chromaffin cells, which produce and release certain hormones. That’s why its incidence can put you at risk of getting hormonal imbalances.
An adenoma is a non-cancerous growth that can fluctuate how your endocrine system works and leads to hormonal imbalance. Some of the adenomas that worsen your hormonal balance are:
- Pituitary Adenomas – Pituitary adenomas are benign masses within your pituitary glands that destroy your hormones. It leads to excess hormone production and causes acromegaly in adults.
- Adrenal Adenomas – Adrenal adenomas grow on top of your kidneys and damage adrenal glands, resulting in a higher concentration of cortisol hormone. Excess cortisol leads to hormonal imbalance and causes Cushing’s syndrome.
- Parathyroid Adenomas – Parathyroid adenomas form above your thyroid gland where your parathyroid gland lies. It increases parathyroid hormone levels in your bloodstream, which develops primary hyperparathyroidism.
Type 1 diabetes is what causes hormonal imbalance. Your body doesn’t produce insulin in type 1 diabetes mellitus, which triggers the release of many hormones and converts glucose into its stored form, glycogen.
Hyperglycaemia and Hypoglycaemia
When your body produces an excess amount of glucose, it is called Hyperglycaemia. In contrast, hypoglycemia occurs when there is a high concentration of insulin present in your bloodstream, which leads to low glucose levels. Both conditions can alter the function of endocrine glands and cause hormonal imbalances.
Radiotherapy is the treatment to kill cancerous cells in your body. However, it uses radiations that penetrate your endocrine glands and cause damage. Moreover, radiotherapy affects your thyroid glands the most, which results in hypothyroidism.
Getting in road traffic accidents puts you at risk of developing traumatic head injuries. These injuries can destroy your pituitary or hypothalamus glands that lie within your brain and cause hormonal imbalance.
What Causes Hormonal Imbalance In Females?
Females do go through hormonal imbalances naturally at many stages of their life. You tend to experience hormonal changes during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and menopause. Moreover, the female body contains more endocrine cycles than males; thereby, they are at higher risk of developing hormonal imbalances.
What causes hormonal imbalance in females includes:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI)
- Ovarian or cervical cancer
- Hormonal replacement therapy
- Birth control pills
What Causes Hormonal Imbalance In Males?
Males tend to experience changes in hormonal levels during puberty, stress, and aging. However, numerous medical conditions lead to hormonal imbalances in men.
What causes hormonal imbalance in males includes:
- Prostate cancer that targets male sex hormones (androgens)
- Hypogonadism that results in low testosterone levels
- AIDS caused by human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Genetic disorders, including Kallmann syndrome or Klinefelter syndrome
- Testicular injury
Can Foods Cause Hormonal Imbalance?
If your diet heavily relies on processed and sugary foods, you’re at risk of developing hormonal imbalances. These foods contain ingredients that put your digestive health in danger and cause inflammation. It can stress out your adrenal glands and increase your weight gain. Furthermore, processed foods may alter your nerve pathways and cause hormonal imbalances.
Can Stress Cause a Hormonal Imbalance?
When you undergo stress, your body switches on a fight or flight response to secure itself. However, to initiate this response, certain hormones, including growth hormone, glucocorticoids, prolactin and catecholamines, and serum level changes may cause hormonal imbalance.
Where can you get effective and natural hormone restoration therapy in NYC?
At MOCEAN Wellness Center in NYC, our experienced therapists rule out the root cause of your hormonal imbalance before starting hormone restoration therapy. We also tell you what causes hormonal imbalance to prevent further complications. Our wellness experts use modern technologies to deliver sound room, salt room, and red light therapy to ease your mind, spirit, and body and cure hormonal imbalance.
The Bottom Line - What Causes Hormonal Imbalance
There is a wide range of medical and congenital health disorders that can provoke hormonal imbalance in both males and females. Hormonal imbalance affects your physical and mental well-being and adds hurdles in conceiving a child. That’s why you must maintain your lifestyle, practice healthy habits, and seek prompt medical attention as soon as possible to restore your hormonal imbalance.
Book an appointment at our longevity center in NYC to restore your hormonal imbalance naturally for once and all by calling us right now!
Then we create a health plan tailored to your needs.
Based on the results, we develop a personalized treatment plan for each individual to promote optimal health. With 1-on-1 consultations, cutting-edge technology, and a team of experts who care about getting you better, MOCEAN offers you a comprehensive road map on how to become the healthiest version of yourself.